Best ZANIES Story
GRAND PRIZE WINNER: 40 YEAR PASS TO ZANIES CHICAGO
I arrived at the hospital for my colonoscopy. While preparing for the procedure, the nurse and I were chatting in a friendly manner – we even shared the same name. The anesthesiologist arrived to question me about my medical history. That was simple enough and he was a personable guy. He left, and the nurse mentioned that the anesthesiologist was a comedian. I assumed she meant that he was the office clown or something like that. She explained further that he was a stand-up comedian. I shrieked, “I love stand-up comedians!” Comedy clubs are my favorite places on the earth, honestly. When I arrived in the surgical room, I gushed to him about how much I loved stand-up comedy, and he mentioned that he was performing at Zanies the next week. WHAT???!!! This can’t be for real. Anyway, the sedation was just about to kick in, and poof, two tickets to Zanies fell from heaven onto my hospital gown. A clean colon and tickets to Zanies – life is good.
RUNNER UP: FREE PARTY OF FOUR ($400 VALUE)
My best story from Zanies was actually in the Vernon Hills Zanies. My mom was a waitress there in the 90s. I remember for some reason or another as a kid I would end up there sometimes because my mom couldn't get a babysitter or we were there to help with something. Well the night before I shipped for Marine boot camp we saw John Pinette. My Mother, Father (A Marine), a girlfriend of mine, and myself. Rick Uchwat came out to wish me luck and told us about his time in the Marine Corps. To all of our surprise none of us knew he was ever in, let alone a purple heart recipient from Vietnam. He talked about it and ended our night on a good note. It taught me about about being humble, sincere, and not bragging about past accomplishments. It was the last time I talked to him before he died and was thankful for that. It is a gem memory, and one of many I have from Zanies.
Contest I: Your Best ZANIES Story
Open Submissions: January 15-May 15, 2018
Winner Announced: June 15, 2018
As part of its 40 Year Anniversary Celebration, ZANIES Comedy Club in Chicago is looking for the best personal stories from the people who have visited the legendary nightclub.
In the past 40 Years, tens of thousands of people have enjoyed an evening at ZANIES On Wells Street. Share your favorite experience at ZANIES/Chicago and have the opportunity to win a 40 Year FREE PASS to ZANIES.
- Did you get engaged at ZANIES/Chicago?
- Did you meet someone special at ZANIES/Chicago?
- Was your first date at ZANIES/Chicago?
- Did a particular comedian or performance at ZANIES/Chicago change your life?
- Was there a show or experience you had at ZANIES/Chicago that you wish to share?
- Stories may be submitted via email firstname.lastname@example.org or traditional mail (Zanies Story Contest, 1548 N. Wells Street, Chicago, IL 60610.)
- All submissions become the property of Zanies Comedy Clubs, Inc. and may be published in all known or future media in perpetuity without any promise of payment or compensation.
- Individual accepted submissions chosen as winners will be cited by the name on the submission.
- Submissions, no matter how received, will not be returned or saved.
- An independent panel of judges selected by Zanies Comedy Clubs, Inc. will choose a winner. All decisions are final.
- No current employee or officer of Zanies Comedy Clubs, or family or friend of employee or officer, is eligible for this contest.
- Submissions are limited to one per person and may not exceed 2000 words in length.
- Submissions will be judged on originality, humor, positivity, human interest, factual relevance, and ZANINESS.
- Prize winners will be announced June 15, 2018. All decisions are final.
- Winners must be 21 or older to collect a prize.
2ND Runner Up: FREE Party of Four. Value = $200, 1st Runner Up: FREE Party of Four. Value = $400, GRAND PRIZE: 40 Year Gift Card valid at ZANIES/Chicago. Gift card is valid for Admission and Table Purchase for Winner Only. Value = PRICELESS.